A safari in Africa is one of the best adventure experiences, one should not miss in a lifetime. Amongst the many destinations in Africa, a Uganda safari is one of the top most ranked as per the Lonely Planet. Though Uganda is most known for gorilla trekking, the big five safari is worthy taking while touring this beautiful natural country! The big 5 includes Lions, Leopards, Elephants, Cape Buffalo, Rhinos Plus Africa’s Best in Uganda comprising of the Mountain Gorillas, Chimpanzees the Forest Elephants and Forest Buffalos
The Big 5 was established by the Big Game Hunters in another time, big 5 was not just the size of the animals but the difficulty of hunting them. Nowadays the term is used by Tourism companies as well as Safari travelers to Africa and usually the only hunting is with a camera.
Uganda tourism offers travelers not only the Big Five, but also two unique primates that you will not find elsewhere in the world. These are the endangered mountain gorillas and the chimpanzees, some of the closest evolution descendants of man! A safari to see these primates and the “traditional big five” is such a unique safari experience that you will only enjoy in the Pearl of Africa.
1. The Lions in Uganda: Known as the King of the Animals is found in several Uganda national parks including, Murchison Falls National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park home to the tree climbing lions in the Ishasha area of Queen Elizabeth National Park and a few found in the remote Kidepo Valley National Park and Semuliki National Park. There have also been sighted in Lake Mburo National Park and the lion is the most sought Big 5.
2. Leopards in Uganda: The leopards are found in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park, Kibale Forest National Park, Lake Mburo National Park, Murchison Falls National Park, Kidepo Valley National Park and Mount Elgon National Park. The leopards are mostly nocturnal, but touriats can take a nocturnal Game Drive at Queen Elizabeth Park and might spot some or during an early game drive in some of the above parks.
3. The Buffalos: Tourists can find the Cape Buffalo and also the smaller more reddish Forest Buffalos here in Uganda. They are quite powerful and can be found in many of Uganda’s national parks such Lake Mburo Park, Murchison Falls Park, Queen Elizabeth Parkand Kidepo Valley Park. The Buffalos are strong animals and no wonder was included on the list of the Bog 5.
4. Elephants of Uganda: Uganda comprises of both the savannah Elephants and the Forest Elephants which look bit smaller and hairier than the savannah cousins and you can find them in many Uganda National Parks and various settings such as the savannahs and in near forests. Elephants of the savannah or Forest variety can be found in all National Parks except Lake Mburo. The best parks to see Elephants includes the Murchison Falls National Park, Kidepo Valley National Parkand Queen Elizabeth National Park.
To be able to see Rhinos, they are found in Zziwa Rhino Reserve on the way to Murchison Falls National Park where you can see most of the big 5.
6. The Mountain Gorillas in Uganda: These are normally skipped out of the list of the big 5, the Mountain Gorillas are sought out by thousands each year and its featured attraction since it is the only East African country where you can find not only the Mountain Gorillas but a diversity of other African wildlife such as the Big Five. They are found in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga National Park.
7. Chimpanzees in Uganda: There are lots of chimpanzees found in Uganda and best park to track them is the Kibale Forest. A dense rainforest and a perfect habitat with more primates than any other place in East Africa. Tourists can also track chimpanzees in Budongo Forest near Murchison Falls, at the Kyambura Gorge at Queen Elizabeth Park and Semiliki Park. You can also partake in a habituation project for chimpanzee that will last all day long.
Another habitat for Chimpanzees is Ngamba Chimpanzee Island where orphaned Chimpanzees can seen close and actual interaction with chimpanzees can be arranged. Don’t miss out on the Chimpanzees of Uganda.
To get more information about Uganda attractions, check out the Uganda Tourist Sites a destination guide to Uganda!